Finding a Builder

In 2016 I decided it was time to start looking for either a builder or perhaps a company that provides a modular or pre-built home. I knew the type of home I wanted and below is an example.

Its a pole house. The poles are buried about five to six feet, massive girders are attached to them the floor trusses are attached to the girders. The poles actually go through the house. Then the roof girders are attached to the top of the poles and the roof trusses are attached to the girders. There are no load bearing walls. To me this was a perfect type of house to have built here. And its so unique. And there is a wrap around porch.

So as I was investigating these pole houses, there used to be a company that sold kits. That is, they supplied the poles, fasteners, everything you needed to have the house dried in. Ok I'm thinking this is great, just what I'm looking for. Now all I need is to find a builder to take on the project. Well this particular company went out of business, shortly after I purchased a set of information plans. There was one company in CA and they were like way over the top expensive. So I started looking at other type of kit homes. I investigated geodesic dome homes, concrete homes, and round homes. I liked the idea of a round home. I've never had an issue with being different. So I got in contact with this one company and this was the result.






It was small only about 1135 sq. ft. with about 780 sq. ft. of porch. Things seemed to be progressing well. They would get bids from local builders, help with the permitting etc. This sounded perfect since I was in NOLA and not local. But then I started noticing things that raised red flags. They never answered my questions via email. Nothing was ever written down. When they called, there was always two people on the phone (at their end). And when it came time to sign the contract, I noticed that the payment schedule had it such that they were paid in full before anything was delivered to the job site. So that officially ended in December. I lost several thousand dollars to them to develop the plans. I believe the structure is very well engineered. I had no doubt that it could withstand a major hurricane. The selling of their product was not good. Prior to terminating the project with them I went on-line to see if anyone had posted comments about this company and I never found any good comments other than on the company web site. But the dissatisfied comments echoed what I had experienced and after they received their money they were not very eager to make things right if something went wrong. I felt like I dodged a bullet.

So back to square one. I went back to trying to have a pole house constructed. I decided that I would go with totally local people. Both architect and builder. A childhood friend of mine that I grew up with in Ft. Pierce suggested a builder. I contacted this builder in December of 2016 and sent him information on the type of house I wanted to have built. He was getting ready to retire and didn't want to take on this big and unique of home.  He then suggested a builder. I contacted him and he was agreeable. Plus he suggested an architecture company out of Ft. Pierce called Architectonic Inc. So I contacted the company and explained the type of house I was interested in having built. Then in January I received a cost estimate for the plans. I nearly choked. So I asked them why was it so expensive and I proceeded to learn all about Florida building codes and building so close to the water. Every metal fastener would have to be stainless steel and engineered stamped. Basically custom made. Plus it would need to withstand 165 mph wind loads. So in March during Spring break the builder and I met with the architects for nearly two hours hashing things out. We identified what were my must haves? Wrap around porch. No interior load bearing walls. Loft for my office, Cathedral type ceiling. Open floor plan construction. And I want it designed for 200 mph wind loads. Not large, around 1500 sq ft (interior). Two bedrooms and two baths. Lots of windows and glass doors facing the water.

It took a while for the architects to come up with a final design. So long that I lost my place in line with the builder and so he backed out. But he suggested another builder. So the preliminary plans were delivered during the summer and the second builder and now my new builder (builder number three) and I met with the architect. There were some changes made that would lower the cost of the house and make it easier to build. So I'm thinking finally we are on the way. I got back to NOLA and started teaching and the third builder stopped any and all communication with me. So when the bid plans were ready I asked the architects to suggest a builder. So on the 29th of September I contacted Keith Obrien of Florida Select Builders. Builder number four. 


This is version 1 of the house. The wrap around porch has more square footage than the interior of the house. Its 2000 sq. ft., the house interior is 1645 sq. ft. this version does not have a loft.

This is version 3 of the house. Two major differences between this version and the final is the vertical wood railings for the porch are now horizontal stainless steel wires. And the back entrance stairs are under the porch so you won't get wet climbing up when its raining. This version has the loft, hence the different roof line.


Comments